Sugar cookies! Sweet and chewy. Throw in a little maple and you’ve got a twist on a true Christmas classic. My little brother raved about these over the weekend. I don’t think anyone loves sugar more than he does. Sweet tooth people unite!! My favorite part about this recipe is the maple glaze on top. It adds a little something extra and looks gorgeous on a Christmas table. Who’s getting ready to bake up a storm? Merry Christmas, everyone!
All Photo Credit: Ashley Cuoco
Yield: 20 cookies — Prep time: 20-30 minutes — Cook time: 12-14 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
Maple Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tbs. pure maple syrup
2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening in a stand mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the granulated sugars, maple syrup, baking soda and salt. Beat on medium for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in flour.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. This is important as you don’t want your cookies to spread and touch each other! Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. The tops will look soft.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Remove and finish cooling on a wire rack. The centers of cookies will dip as they cool. Drizzle with maple icing.
To make maple glaze: Stir together 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk with 1/4 cup melted butter and 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup. Whisk in 2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar to make icing drizzling consistency. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens.