Here’s the next round of tacos for #nationaltacoday with Sur la Table! I could not get enough of these. The shrimp is cooked with chipotle in adobo, one of my favorite flavors on the planet. It’s smoky, a little spicy and insanely good. Pair that with a cool and crunchy slaw, avocado cream, cilantro and lime juice? This is my ideal taco. Get your friends together and make a batch of these to celebrate! It’ll be messy, but it’s gonna be worth it.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup peeled and shredded carrot
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Avocado Lime Crema:
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup Mexican crema
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste (the adobo sauce that comes in cans, or pureed chipotle peppers)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced thin
- To make the slaw: In a large mixing bowl, toss all slaw ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Avocado crema: Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Blend into a smooth sauce, taste and adjust seasonings with salt. Transfer to a small bowl, set aside.
- For the shrimp: Preheat pan on medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the oil, chipotle paste and lime juice. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook the shrimp tossing in the pan for about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To serve: Fill each warm tortilla with grilled shrimp, a small amount of slaw, lime crema, and cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges and remaining slaw on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Sur la Table, by Joel Gamoran, Sur La Table National Chef.