Milano cookies: to me, the BEST store bought cookie…. but, make them yourself and you get to lick the chocolate ganache spoon!!! The addition of the orange zest adds the perfect hint of sweetness to the semisweet chocolate filling. If you need a good chocolate fix (and who doesn’t?) make this your first choice! Enjoy!
Total Time:1 hr 20 min — Prep:20 min — Cook:1 hr — Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 12 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2tbsp lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- cookie filling, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 orange, zested
- Cream the butter with a paddle attachment then mix in the sugar. Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts. Add the flour and mix until just incorporated. With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
- Cookie Filling: In a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl. Whisk to melt chocolate, add zest and blend well. Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools). Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.
Recipe courtesy of Gale Gand on Food Network, www.foodnetwork.com